Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cranberry Sauce with Dried Cherries



I love cranberry sauce. I have a confession though....until adulthood I didn't know it could be made from scratch...I thought the canned jelly variety was the ONLY variety! Now I make my own because it is soooo simple to whip up a batch and it tastes soooo much better than the canned sauce. In this version, I add dried cherries for extra zing but you can leave them out if you don't have them on hand. If you don't want to use alcohol, substitute orange juice for the cointreau.

Ingredients
1 bag fresh cranberries
1 cinnamon stick
1 c water
1/2 c dried cherries
1/4 c cointreau
1 c brown sugar

What to do
  • In medium sized pot, combine all ingredients over medium heat.
  • Bring to simmer and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and let sit for an hour.
  • Remove cinnamon stick.
  • If desired, mash with potatoe masher or use an immersion blender to puree slightly.
  • Refrigerate over night.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE cranberry sauce too! :) What a great idea to make it with dried cherries. I can't wait to try out your recipe, it looks and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the addition of the dried cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always cooked my own whole-berry cranberry sauce, but I like to put the canned jellied kind on the table as well for those guests who grew up with that and have an emotional attachment to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this recipe! And I just got a delivery of Chukar Cherries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great recipe. This sounds delicious. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you please give an estimate for the amount of cranberries? 16oz?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure...I use a 12oz bag of cranberries.
    Thx, ceecee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been making a cranberry/dried cherry sauce for a couple of years now. Never though to add cointreau - great idea.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete