There are lots of fancy modern banana breads out there. I'm sure they are all delicious but sometimes you just want something that reminds you of an afternoon spent in the kitchen with your Mom or Grandma or maybe those special care packages your family would send you when you went off to college. I'm guessing they weren't the fancy banana breads but just plain, basic stuff with the occasional chocolate chip thrown in. If you are yearning for a slice of THAT banana bread, try this. It's delicious, simple and will take you back to the excitement of opening those care packages or your Grandma's kitchen.
Ingredients4 cups all purpose flour (preferably unbleached)
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 cups mashed overripe bananas
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Grease two 9x5 loaf pans and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a very large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, sour cream, sugar, butter, vanilla and bananas.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients and stir until JUST combined.
- Place half (4 cups) in each loaf pan.
- Bake for 65 to 70 minutes until nicely brown and toothpick comes out clean.