Sunday, January 16, 2011

How to Make Ricotta Cheese


I love ricotta cheese - on bread, mixed with chocolate, sprinkled with herbs, in lasagna, in a lemon tart...ricotta is so versatile and delicious. But for most of us ricotta comes from a tub that we buy in our local grocery store. Some of us are lucky enough to buy fresh ricotta from specialty stores. But have you ever thought to make your own fresh ricotta at home? Why not? It's easy, fast and your taste buds will thank you.

You will need cheesecloth and colander.

Ingredients
4 cups 1% milk (or 2% or whole)
2 cups whipping or heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp white wine vinegar

What to do
  1. Dampen cheesecloth and line a colander with it.
  2. Place colander over a large bowl.
  3. In a large sauce pan, bring the milk, cream and salt to a boil over medium heat. Stirring often to prevent burning.
  4. Take off heat and add vinegar.
  5. Let rest 2 minutes while mixture separates.
  6. Pour mixture into colander.
  7. Wait 30 minutes while liquid drains into bowl. You may want to run a spoon through it a couple of times to let the liquid escape.
  8. Use immediately or place in air tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

18 comments:

  1. I make something similar called paneer. It's a type of indian cheese. Making it involves the same process but there is no heavy cream. I like how i can make ricotta cheese at home now too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious. I love cheese very, very much!
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of making my own ricotta! What great information~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have thought it's so easy! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago my grandma taught me how to make it and I haven't bought a tub ever since. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautifully simple recipe! Ricotta is such a versatile cheese and to make it at home would definitely give you not only the freshest but the most delicious cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds easy--I will definitely try this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homemade ricotta blows the storebought stuff out of the water. Try this everyone -- it's awesome! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. had no clue it was convenient to make at home.. have to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never thought to make my own ricotta! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have wanted to make my own ricotta for a long time, but keep putting it off. You make it sounds so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love that pic of the ricotta. so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've absolutely saved this to file and will be trying this. I'd luv to make my own ricotta. I've made my own mascarpone...I'm ready to try this too now! Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How much does this yield?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you sub normal vinegar? Hubby is alergic to grapes (no wine).

    ReplyDelete