For many years I often felt left out as far as motherhood went ... you see my kids hated condiments....ketchup, mustard, ranch dressing, mayo, cheese sauce on veggies....they just wouldn't eat the stuff. Plain broccoli, carrots, noodles were fine but if you offered them anything to dip those things in they would look at you like you were off your rocker.
Adapted from Gifts Cooks Love by Diane Morgan.
1 c mustard seeds
1 c Canadian rye (whiskey)
1 c water
1 c chopped dried apricots
5 tbsp cider vinegar
5 tbsp honey
1 tbsp kosher salt
What to do
- Add mustard seeds, rye and water into a bowl and soak 12-24 hours.
- Add apricots and soak for another 12 hours.
- Reserving the liquid, strain the mixture.
- In a food processor, pulse all ingredients including the reserve liquid, to desired consistency, adding remaining liquid as needed.
- Place in clean jars, making sure to wipe the rims and secure the lids.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 weeks so the flavours meld together.