|A Day at the \beach!|
|A perfect topper to our Hawaiian themed party.|
This is my favourite home-made cake. It is a buttery, melt in your mouth yellow cake. The flavour gets even better after a day or two (if it lasts that long)! I like that it is only a 6-inch, two layer cake - portion control! lol
I also chose it for the topper of my daughter's cupcake tower because the top of the cupcake tower is also 6 inches! Perfect fit.
I used the same icing and decorating theme that I made for the cupcakes - in fact there was enough left from the cupcakes that I didn't have to make more. I found the chair, trees, and flamingo at my trusty cake decorating shop.
The Hawaiian themed party was great fun and my 6 year old son has already put in his request for his next birthday party (even though it's 9 months away!) - Angry Birds. I've already started planning...
A Day at the Beach CakeAdapted from The Kitchn
Ingredients1 c cake flour
¾ c butter, unsalted and at room temperature
1 c sugar, preferably berry or super fine sugar (not icing sugar!)
½ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
3 eggs, large and at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 c icing
1/4 c graham cracker crumbs for "beach"strip
1 lifesaver gummy
2 teddy grahams
various beach decorations - umbrella, candy surf boards, chair, flamingos etc.
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 6-inch cake pans.
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat each egg addition for 30 seconds.
- Stir in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder.
- Add to the wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Divide between prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes and invert on to cooling racks. Reinvert so cake top is up. Cool completely before decorating.
- Using your favourite butter cream or mine, frost cake including within the layer.
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs to resemble sandy beach.
- Add beach decorations.
- Use teddy grahams, gumy life savers and fruit leather as described in bear cupcake recipe.