|Beach bear cupcakes - with a rainbow surprise inside!|
This is the second of three recipes from my Hawaiian themed party posts. These little cupcakes were definitely a hit with the 6 - 8 year old crowd! They loved that not only was it a cupcake but that it was also part cookie and candy! The rainbow cake they found inside was the icing on the cake, so to speak!
|Bears at the beach!|
The cupcake is a vanilla cake recipe. The batter is divided and coloured and finally layered in the muffin tins - super easy. The decorating of the cupcakes also could not be easier! Slap on some blue icing, stick in a little umbrella, a couple teddy grahams, a bite of fruit leather and a gummy life-saver and SHAZAM you are on your way to making any party a memorable hit!
Beach Bear Rainbow Cupcakes
Makes 24-27 cupcakes.
Ingredients12 ounces or 1-1/2 c of unsalted butter
2 c sugar (I prefer berry sugar)
1/4 c vanilla
4 c all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
various food colour gels (I use Wilton brand - the colours come out particularly vibrant)
Icing - see recipe below
Vanilla butter cream
2 teddy graham bears per cupcake
graham cracker crumbs - about 1-1/2 cups.
fruit leather - if using store bought strips, you can usually cut three towels per one fruit leather.
life saver gummies - same number as cupcakes
cocktail umbrellas - same number as cupcakes
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together for 8-10 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix for 30 seconds after adding each one.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add 1/3 of the flour bowl to the creamed mixture and beat till smooth.
- Beat in half of the milk and mix until smooth.
- Repeat with flour then milk and then flour again.
- Divide the batter into as many bowls as you have colours (I wouldn't recommend more than four).
- Add colour to the batter by using a toothpick. Stir until colour is even. Add colour until desired shade is reached.
- Set 24-27 muffin tins with muffin liners.
- Place a tbsp or so of one colour batter into each muffin liner. Repeat with remaining coloured batters. Cups should be about 3/4 full.
- Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, unsalted and at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c milk
What to do
- Sift sugar into large bowl.
- Cut butter into smaller pieces.
- Turn mixer on low and slowly add the butter one piece at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add milk.
- Turn to medium speed and beat for 4 minutes.
- Add blue food coloring and beat until consistent color is reached.
How to decorate
- Spread icing onto cupcake - not too thick since there will be other candy on it. "Rough" up the icing so it looks more like water by using a spoon or small spatula and lift it off the icing on one half.
- On the other half sprinkle graham cracker crumbs so it resembles a sandy beach.
- Cut fruit leathers into towels so they are a little bit longer than the teddy. Place on sand (you may need to add a dollop of icing on the bottom of fruit leather so it sticks to sand).
- Add a dollop of icing to the back of teddy and place on fruit leather towel.
- Stick umbrella next to bear.
- Take a gummy lifesaver and place over teddy. Stick teddy into the water.
|See the orange lifesaver gummy? |
A few burst die to the girth of the teddies! Still delicious!