|These little loaves even look like bread slices..get it...banana bread!|
I grew up with this banana bread. It is especially good with a little slather of butter while it is still warm. I'd like to tell you that this will keep for a few days but the reality is it that it rarely lasts more than a day before it is eaten up!
And now for some banana humour:
Q:Why do bananas wear suntan lotion?
A: 'Cause they peel!
Q:Why are bananas never lonely?
A:Because they hang around in bunches.
I usually use a 9x5 loaf pan for this recipe but once in awhile I use a financier pan to make little loaves which are perfect for my kids' lunches. If you use these little pans (1-1/2 x 3 in) baking time is about 20 minutes.
- 1-3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 c mini chocolate chips
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 medium and very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
What to do
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in medium mixing bowl.
- Cream shortening.
- Add sugar and beat till light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with bananas beating until combined after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 - 55 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.