Monday, February 27, 2012

Daring Bakers - Grape-Almond quick bread

Grapes are not used to their full potential. You see them in tarts,fruit salad and on cheese plates but rarely in other baking. I wasn't sure if there was a reason for this or not but I wanted to find out!

I decided to create a grape quick bread with a lemon glaze (lemons and grapes really compliment each other). Did it work? Definitely! The grapes shrink a little bit which increases their sweetness and the lemon glaze adds a bit of zing.

The Daring Bakers’ February 2012 host was – Lis! Lisa stepped in last minute and challenged us to create a quick bread we could call our own. She supplied us with a base recipe and shared some recipes she loves from various websites and encouraged us to build upon them and create new flavor profiles.

See other recipes here.

Adapted from thekitchn

1 tsp ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
2 tbsp ground Flax (optional)
2 tbsp hemp hearts (optional)
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1-1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 c super fine sugar
1 c grapes, cut in half
1 egg
1 c buttermilk
1/4 c butter, melted
1 tsp almond extract
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp lemon juice depending on how thick you want it
What to do
  • In a large bowl, whisk together spices, flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  • In a medium bowl, combine melted butter, buttermilk and almond extract.
  • Pour wet ingredients over dry.
  • Stir to combine. Use a light hand and stop as soon as ingredients are mixed. If you over stir, your loaf will be tough.
  • Gently fold in grapes.
  • Scoop batter into 9 x 5 pan.
  • Bake for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle of loaf comes out crumbless.
  • Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
  • Meanwhile prepare glaze by combining powdered sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
  • Poke loaf multiple times with a wooden skewer or toothpick.
  • Pour glaze over warm loaf.
  • Cool and dig in!


  1. Your bread looks great! The grape bunches look so tasty sitting next to your loaf. I never would have thought to put grapes in a quick bread. Nice job on the challenge!

  2. What a great and delicious idea! Your Grape-Almond Quick Bread looks Fantastic. Wonderful pictures :)

  3. I've been wondering how I can incorporate grapes into baking and now I know! Your loaf sounds and looks really good! Well done! :)

  4. Ohh, what an interesting recipe! I haven't ever baked with grapes, so I'd be really eager to try this. Lovely job!

  5. I agree.. I have never baked with grapes or never even tried anything baked with them! Looks great!

  6. I think it's true to say I don't believe I've ever seen grapes used in this way, but why not? Love photos!!