|Brownie Cake Pops - perfect for your special Valentine!|
1-1/2 c butter, unsalted
2-1/4 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 c flour
1 c cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 c prepared icing
1 package candy melts or similar
30, 5 or 6 inch lollipop sticks
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
- Over low heat, melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add sugar and stir until well combined and some sugar dissolves. It will still be thick and 'sugary' looking.
- Cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Place in large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until well combined- about 4 minutes.
- In another bowl, sift together.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth with spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Don't over bake!
- Cool completely before moving on.
- Once cool, crumble brownie into large chunks and place in food processor. You may want to do this in batches.
- Pulse brownies until it has consistency of grainy sand.
- Place in large bowl.
- Add 3/4 c of icing and mix until well combined. You may have to add a bit more. You need the mixture to hold together when rolled into a ball. But try not to add too much or pops become too sweet.
- Refrigerate mixture preferably overnight but at least 2 hours.
- To make a heart shape I used one half of a boiled egg shaper for bento boxes. But you could also use a small cookie cutter or shape them by hand. They shouldn't be more than a couple of inches in size.
- Place hearts on a cookie sheet and refrigerate again for a few hours or overnight.
- Melt your candy melts according to directions.
- Dip one end of lollipop stick into melted candy.
- Place dipped stick into bottom of heart...about 2 cm deep.
- Dip heart while holding onto stick into melted candy to cover heart completely.
- Place cake pop stick end into styrofoam or place in a heavy glass so they can dry.
- Once candy is dried, use a food writer pen or icing in a decorating bag with a thin tip to write your messages.
- Dry as in previous method or place on cookie sheets until ready to eat.