Saturday, November 20, 2010

Orange Juice Cake with Pecan Caramel Glaze


I know using shortening isn't really popular in baking anymore but I recommend trying this lovely orange juice cake. I found the recipe the first cookbook my mother gave me - it was 1st published in the 70s by a flour company.

The cake itself has a faint orange taste but the glaze has the intense orange flavour that makes this dessert. My family says it tastes even better on the 2nd and 3rd day.

Notes: When broiling the topping don't take your eyes off of it! It burns quickly and I think 90 seconds was perfect - caramelly but still gooey. Also, I would wait at least 30 minutes until you remove it from the pan as the cake is quite delicate. In fact, I would leave it in the pan next time.

Ingredients
1.5 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk
3 tbsp frozen orange concentrate, thawed
2 eggs


Topping
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tbsp frozen orange concentrate, thawed
1/2 cup chopped nuts (whatever you like), optional

What to do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour a 8x8 cake pan.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into medium mixing bowl.
Add shortening and milk.
Beat for 1 minute at low speed.
Add 3 tbsp OJ concentrate and eggs.
Beat for 2 minutes at low speed.
Pour batter into pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden.
Just before cake is done, mix all of topping ingredients together.
Spread on top of cake.
Broil cake for 2 or 3 minutes till topping is golden.
Cool about 15 minutes.
Invert cake on wax paper, then turn again so topping side is "up" on serving plate.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. this cake looks amazing!!!!!! slurp.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks delicious and I too love vintage cook books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be quite happy to sit in front of this cake and dig into that beautiful topping!

    ReplyDelete