Saturday, September 18, 2010
Homemade Low Fat Croutons
I had quite a bit of leftover bread from a spinach dip I made the other night. Not wanting to waste it, I made homemade croutons to go with our salad tonight. This recipe is super quick and you can throw in whatever spices or cheese you have on hand. The best part, other than their great taste, is that they are low fat and have no icky preservatives like the store bought versions!
4 cups fresh bread cubed or pulled apart in 1 inch pieces
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
oil spray such as Pam
What to do
1. Preheat oven to 30 degrees
2. Spread bread on baking sheet in single layer and spray with oil.
3. Pour spice sand cheese into large ziploc bag and shake to mix.
4. Add bread to bag and shake again to coat bread.
5. Place bread in single layer again on baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown.
7. Cool and enjoy.
Note: I like them best on the day they are made.