Saturday, April 17, 2010

STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM


It's the weekend which means there are usually items in my fridge that are about to pass their expiry date if not used quickly. This week my large carton of half and half  is on the chopping block. For those who aren't familiar with half and half - it is a popular dairy product that is equal parts milk and cream. The fat content is usually around 10.5 - 18% . I use it with my coffee and it is also used with strawberries and breakfast cereals.

I found an ice cream recipe that sounded delicious and since the kids have been begging to use the ice cream maker it was the one chosen.  But I have to admit it did not freeze! I have no idea why - maybe my ice cream thingy wasn't cold enough. I told the kids it was strawberry "soup" instead - they loved it!!!

But I needed to prove to myself that I could produce a frozen ice cream! So I tried again - I altered the recipe even more by adding caramel, lemon zest (the zest adds a bright, summer flavour) and real vanilla to my version for a decadent cheesecake ice cream. And since we used half and half instead of full fat heavy cream, I don't even feel too guilty about having a second scoop!


STRAWBERRY  CARAMEL CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM





















Ingredients
1/2 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces softened cream cheese
3 large egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
3 cups half-and-half
1 heaping tsp. fresh lemon zest, grated
1 1/2 cup strawberries
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp caramel sauce

Method
1. Beat sugar and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy.
2. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla (if using liquid); set aside.
3. Dice strawberries and mash a few times with fork or potato masher.
4. Mix strawberries and brown sugar in small bowl; set aside.
5. Pour half-and-half into heavy saucepan.
6. If using vanilla bean, splice in half and scratch out inside of pod. Add to half and half.
7. Bring half and half to a low simmer.
8. Slowly mix the hot cream into the cheese mixture.
9. Pour mixture back into saucepan and heat over medium - low heat. Stir constantly until custard thickens slightly. Be careful not to boil or the egg may will scramble. About 5 minutes.
10. Remove from heat.
11.Allow mixture to cool for 20 minutes or so.
12. Add lemon zest.
13. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or longer.
14. Stir chilled custard; freeze in your ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
15. Add strawberries when ice cream is semi-frozen and allow machine to mix in.
16. Add caramel sauce in slow stream to machine at very end - the sauce will probably end up mixing in rather than forming a "ribbon" but that's ok - still tastes great!
17. For firmer ice cream, transfer to freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ceecee, I love strawberry ice cream & cheesecake. I bet this tasted wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A strawberry cheesecakce sounds like such a wonderful flavor! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cheesecake, I love ice cream so, to me, this is positively BRILLIANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo...ice cream makes me happy ;) I gotta try it out. I love ALL your recipes; definitely one of the best food blogs around. Thanks, Ceecee!

    ReplyDelete