To combat all this craziness, we try to have a bit more of an old school family dinner on Saturday or Sunday. Each week dessert duty goes to a different family member. The rules are it has to be homemade - no store bought cake/cookies etc. This idea has been a true hit with the kids! My 7 and 9 year olds love planning what they are going to create, shopping for the ingredients and the actual baking of their masterpiece dessert. It's also a good opportunity to spend some one-on-one time with the kids since adult supervision is still needed at their age.
Last week, my daughter made these absolutely fabulous millionaire bars or homemade Twix bars. This dessert looks more complicated than it really is so it's perfect for little hands. And let's face it - chocolate, caramel and shortbread? It's a trifecta of goodness!
Ingredients1 cup butter, unsalted, at room temperature
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 cups caramels
4 tbsp whipping cream
3 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Prepare pan by cutting a 9 x 15 inch piece of parchment.
Place it so the extra over hangs.
Spray with baking spray and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, beat butter, salt and icing sugar at medium speed until well combined.
- Add vanilla and combine.
- Add flour on low speed until it starts to come together.
- Increase speed to medium and continue to mix until dough comes together and is smooth.
- Gently spread dough into the pan and pat with fingers to get it into the corners.
- Prick the batter base multiple times with a fork.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until edges are golden.
- Place on cooling rack.
- Set side to cool completely.
- On low heat, melt the caramels and cream.
- Pour over cooled base.
- Place in fridge for 15 minutes to set slightly.
- Over very low heat, stir constantly and melt the chocolate chips in a medium sauce pan.
- Pour over caramel layer.
- Return to fridge to cool and set for 4 hours or overnight.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan.
- Carefully pull the dessert out by lifting it out by the parchment over hang.
- Cut into desired sizes.