Back in the house of my childhood, the door was always open. Not only was it open to anyone who wanted to stop in for a cup of tea or even a meal, we never locked our door...can you imagine that today?? We turn on the alarm every time we leave the house! Those were the good ol'days, I guess. It was also the days of deviled eggs. I remember them showing up at parties and special events. Oh, how I loved them. Then they went away, not to be seen again for years. Thankfully, I've noticed a revival of sorts in these lovely little bites of creaminess. The door may be locked but if you knock, I just might have an egg or two for you.
These deviled eggs make a great snack or even lunch. I use miracle whip to cut down on fat content but you could use mayo if desired.
8 hard boiled eggs
1/4 cup low fat miracle whip or mayonnaise
pinch of salt
1 heaping tbsp of grainy mustard
pinch of pepper
1 tbsp relish
Toppings you may want to use: hot sauce, celery salt, capers, paprika.
- Peel hard boiled eggs and cut in half.
- Gently remove yolks and place in medium sized bowl. Place egg whites on serving dish.
- Mash yolks with rest of ingredients until smooth.
- Place yolk mixture in a medium sized ziploc bag. Snip off end and fill egg whites with yolk mixture.
- Top deviled eggs with whatever you desire - I used hot sauce, celery salt, paprika and capers.