Friday, September 7, 2012

Olive oil banana bread with molasses



This banana bread came about one day when I had a bunch of overripe, fruit fly calling bananas on my kitchen counter but no room temperature butter. I know I could have zapped the cold butter in the microwave but I always seem to melt it too much and make a mess. And being the impatient baker I am, I did not want to wait to let it warm up naturally. Instead, I used a light tasting extra virgin olive oil.

In case you didn’t know, you don’t substitute olive oil and butter amounts tbsp by tbsp. In this case, the original recipe calls for ¼ cup of butter but I only needed 3 tbsp of oil (healthier already!). I also didn’t cream the oil and sugars as I would have if I had used butter since the oil is in a liquid state.

Olive oil works in many baked goods but especially well here with the fruity bananas and deep tasting molasses and oats. It also adds a great depth of flavour that goes well with the cinnamon.

This banana bread is amazing toasted especially with … a little pat of butter! LOL…so much for “health” improvements. Oh well, I’m sure you’ll love it anyway you eat it! 



Ingredients

1 c white flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c large flake oats
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c molasses
2 large eggs
1 c mashed bananas
1/3 c low fat sour cream
1 tsp vanilla


What to do

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Whisk, in a large bowl, flours, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and sugar.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, molasses, olive oil, bananas, sour cream and vanilla.
  4. Add wet to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
  5. Place batter into a 8 x 4 pan that has been coated in non-stick spray.
  6. Bake for about an hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
  7. Let cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pan to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Olive oil sounds like a good option :) I sometimes do that too..or the other way round instead of oil I melt butter :D

    ReplyDelete