Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cookbook Review: Vegan Indian Cooking by Anupy Singla



I like meat and dairy. Life without beef tenderloin, baby back ribs, ice cream or butter is just unimaginable... for me. But that doesn't mean I can't see the benefit of moderation and mixing my family's menu up with healthy vegetarian and vegan dishes. So when I was given the opportunity to review and try a few of the recipes from Anupy Singla's new book, Vegan Indian Cooking, I without hesitation said yes.

Ms Singla does a great job at explaining her vegan journey and her belief in everyone making their own choices. I especially like her description of all the spices and other ingredients used in Indian cooking and in her home. The book is well written and easy to read.

140 recipes are offered - everything from spice blends to drinks to breakfast to small plates, stews, rice dishes and veggies. Lots of variety that is sure to appeal to many including those of us who aren't Indian or Vegan afficienados!

Lots of great pictures accompany the recipes which are easy to follow and I like that different options and substitutions are offered for many ingredients just in case they are not available in your area.

I decided to try two recipes: Chickpea Poppers and Baked Samosas. They both turned out amazing. Even my six year old loved the poppers and ate them for school snacks most of the week. I found when I wanted the satisfaction of a chip but not the empty calories these really did make a pretty good substitute!



And the samosas were soooo delicious! Potatoes, peas and spices wrapped up and BAKED in golden crust  - a new comfort food for sure! The only comment I have is that is says it makes 12 medium samosas but I honestly would classify them as small, appetizer size. Although it doesn't say in the book, I asked Anupy via Facebook if they could be frozen and she said "yes" - unbaked - so I will definitely be making and freezing a few batches to have on hand for nights when we just can't decide what to have for dinner and drop in guests.

With permission, I have included the popper recipe but I think you should buy the book for the samosa recipe!
Chickpeas coated with spices just before going into the oven.

After they come out - crunchy and spicy!

Chickpea Poppers

from Vegan Indian Cooking: 140 Simple and Healthy Vegan Recipes by Anupy Singla
published by Agate Surrey, July 2012

Yield: 4 cups

Ingredients


4 c cooked chickpeas or 2 (12-ounce/341 gram) cans chickpeas
1 tbsp garam masala
2 tsp coarse sea salt
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cayenne pepper or paprika, plus more for sprinkling

What to do


1. Set an oven rack at the highest position and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
2. Drain the chickpeas in a large colander for about 15 minutes to get rid of as much moisture as possible. If using canned, rinse first.
3. In a large bowl, gently mix together all the ingredients.
4. Arrange the seasoned chickpeas in a single layer on the baking sheet.
5. Cook for 15 minutes. Carefully take the tray out of the oven, mix gently so that the chickpeas cook evenly, and cook another 10 minutes.
6. Let cool for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the cayenne pepper or paprika.

PS: Anupy is currently on a book tour and will be stopping in Vancouver, BC at Barbara Jo's Books-to-Cook store on October 13th 2012. Click here for more info!

1 comment:

  1. oh these do look very tasty. They would make a fabulous appetizer

    ReplyDelete