Have you ever used a ring mold? I hadn't as it seemed too complicated and time consuming...I was wrong! I was reading other blogs one day when I came across a blog called Apples and Butter. Among many great posts she had one for a gazpacho garnish that was increbibly cute. Although I hate gazpacho, I loved the avocado ring idea. I used it as part of my tuna salad dinner that night. Luckily, I had bought a couple ring molds a few months ago but had never opened the package!
If you don't like tuna or gazpacho, fill the ring with something else - chicken salad, rice and nori, greek salad are just a few ideas.
Makes two salads. A ring mold is required - I used a 4 inch ring.
1/4 c grapes, halved
handful of chives, chopped
1 can tuna
6 sweet gherkins or other pickle, diced
3 tbsp mayo or salad dressing
1/2 red onion, diced
2 cups spinach leaves, washed and dried
1 celery stalk, chopped
dash of pepper and garlic powder
What to do
- Mix the tuna, pepper and garlic, mayo, gherkins, onion and celery in a medium sized bowl.
- Set aside.
- Place a thin bed of spinach leaves on plate.
- Set aside.
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise.
- Remove pit.
- Remove skin.
- Slice avocado length wise into thin strips.
- Spray the ring mold with non-stick spray.
- Place the avocado (cut side down) against the mold.
- Continue to overlap the avocado slices until the mold in completely lined.
- Press the avocado against the sides of the mold to ensure it is placed securely.
- Spoon tuna salad into the mold ensuring it is well packed.
- Place halved grapes and chives on top of salad.
- Carefully remove the ring!
- Repeat everything to make another serving.
- Enjoy :)