My Mom told the kids this joke a couple of years ago and it remains one of their favorites:
Question: What did the skeleton say to his guests before dinner?
Answer: Bone Appetite!
Funny, right?! Anyways, Halloween is quickly coming up and we are almost prepared - costumes layed out (Green Lantern and a Witch), candy is bought, and the decorations are ready to go. I also have a few Halloween recipes to make. The first one is this beyond cute skeleton cupcake - in the interest of time I used a prepared cake mix but feel free to do it from scratch with your favorite cupcake recipe. A couple more Halloween inspired recipes should be creeping up soon so check back next week!
Adapted from Women's Day
Makes 16-18 cupcakes
- 1 box (18.25 oz) cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tubs (16 oz each) cream cheese frosting (you'll have some left over frosting)
- 18 marshmallows
- 5 or 6-in. lollipop sticks
- Black food-safe writing marker
- 72 yogurt-covered mini-pretzels plus extra to allow for breakage
- 1/2 c white candy melts
What to do
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line 18 medium sized muffin cups with liners.
2. Beat cake mix, eggs, water, vanilla and oil in large bowl on low speed for 1 minute until blended; increase speed to medium and continue to beat for an additional 2 minutes until batter is smooth.
3. Immediately pour batter amongst muffin cups, filling each 2⁄3 full.
4. Bake 20 to 22 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted into the centres comes out clean.
5. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes before removing cupcakes to rack to cool completely.
6. Frost cupcakes with frosting (I used a large tip and decorating bag).
7. Insert a lollipop stick into the long side of a marshmallow. With the black food-safe decorating pen, draw the skeleton face.
8. Melt white candy per directions on bag.
9. Carefully thread the lollipop stick through the smallest hole of the pretzel. Secure with some melted candy (use another lollipop stick to smear the candy - especially under the pretzel so it doesn't fall down.)
10. Repeat with two more pretzels so you now have the skeleton ribs. Make sure you leave enough room at bottom of the stick to insert fully into cupcake. (BUT don't insert them yet!)
11. Lay down carefully on cookie sheet to set (about 5 minutes).
12. Repeat with remaining lollipop sticks until you have enough skeletons.
13. Once set, insert into cupcakes.
14. Cut two more pretzels in half legthwise to use as arms (see picture as a guide). Again use melted candy to adhere them to the rib cage.