Monday, August 16, 2010

Gymnastics, Princess, Castle and Jungle Cakes!

I love baking children's birthday cakes - yes, they can be stressful and time consuming but there is nothing better than seeing a child's face light up at the sight of the "perfect" cake. Here are a few photos of some I have done for my kids. None are really hard to copy -they just take a little planning and practicing. For instance, I try not to bake and frost a cake on the same day because something will go wrong - the cake won't rise, it will burn, an ingredient for the frosting will disappear or power will go out! I've experienced them all! I usually pre-bake the cakes a day in advanced or earlier (and then freeze them).

I try to keep the decorating simple. I also make fondant figurines at least a week in advance so they can dry and I'll have a chance to redo any that may break or fall apart.

If you have any questions just send me an email and I'll be happy to answer them!

This one was for my daughter's 6th birthday. It was at a gymnastics centre so, of course, a gymnastics cake was perfect.


Her 5th was a princess castle:

This one was for her 4th birthday - fitting a princess such as she is!


And my son requested a jungle cake for his third birthday!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome! I think I'm too much of a perfectionist for cake decorating. I always get frustrated that I can't make cakes that turn out like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job with these cakes! The fondant figures on the gymnastics cake are really well done. Your kids must have been thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me - my cakes are far from perfect! On the gymnastics cake the top figurine toppled over and she "broke" her leg - it's held together with tape and resting on a piece on canteloupe to keep it in place for the candle blowing!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cakes!! I'm a big castle fan so those still the show for me. I can't wait to read more of your blog. I adore the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! These are impressive, excellent work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful! Your kids must love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your site. Thank you so much for joining mine so I could find you.
    I am excited to see how great your site is. I voted for you on the post below.
    Thanks
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! The cakes are fabulous! You are very creative! I'm new here and will enjoy following your future posts. In the meantime, I'll be looking around! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete