The heat of summer requires the refreshing taste and smell of lemons! This lemon loaf fits the bill with three layers of luscious lemon.
Ever so slightly adapted from Epicurious
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups sugar
8 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup grated lemon zest (from about 3-4 lemons)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tsp vanilla powder (optional)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar (berry or castor sugar is preferable)
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted, or more if needed
5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Serves 16 per loaf.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla powder (if using) and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another large bowl (or stand mixer) combine the sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Very slowly, pour the butter in bowl with mixer on lowest setting until combined.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture, one third at a time, folding gently after each addition until just combined. Try to not over mix. It will be a bit weird looking at my produce a few lumps – that’s ok.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans. Bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes, rotate the pans, reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F., and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpicks inserted in the centre of the loaves come out clean.
- On wire rack, let cool in the pans for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix the lemon juice and sugar. Once dissolved, cook for 3 additional minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and invert the loaves onto the pan. Use a toothpick to poke all over the loaves.
- With half of the syrup, brush the tops and sides of the loaves. Once soaked into the cake, brush it again with rest of syrup.
- Cool the cakes cool completely.
- Whisk together the icing sugar and lemon juice. If the mixture is too thick (it should be pourable but thick), add up to another tablespoon lemon juice and mix again.
- Pour the lemon glaze over the loaves.
- The glaze will harden a bit.