A big bowl of creamy and buttery mashed potatoes are one of my favorite comfort foods. Depending on my mood I can whip up a pot of garlicky mashed potatoes with skins on, or a casserole dish of super cheesy twice baked yukons or even just salted and slightly smashed fingerlings. The recipe below produces a creamy and smooth mashed potato that almost feels healthy if you use reduced fat cream cheese and just a pat of butter. Using some of the potato water adds back flavour and adds to the fluffiness of the potatoes.What's your favorite way to make mashed potatoes?
Ingredients3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 2-3 inch cubes
4 cloves garlic, skinned and chopped
1/2 - 2/3 cup low fat cream cheese or full fat but NOT no-fat
1/2 - 3/4 cup potato water
1 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in large pot and cover with cold, salted water.
- Add garlic.
- Bring to boil.
- Boil until tender enough to easily price with fork.
- Remove 1 cup potato water.
- Drain rest of remaining water from pot.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved water and cream cheese.
- Mash until smooth. Add extra water if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add butter on top, if using.