I have only picked my own strawberries once when a was a little kid... to be honest I barely remember it other than having a basket and trying to fill it with as many sweet strawberries as possible. And I'm pretty sure I ate more than I ended putting in the basket! I hope to take my own kids strawberry picking this season...and I would bet more would end up in their bellies than in their baskets too!
This is such a simple pie, it really lets the strawberries shine so it's important to use the sweetest most beautiful strawberries you can buy or pick!
|A beautiful way to end a meal ... or start a day!|
Super simple strawberry Pie
Ingredients• 1 Pie Crust
• 5 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 3 tablespoons cornstarch
• Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
• juice of one lemon
• 1 tsp orange blossom water (optional)
Instructions1. On a floured surface, roll the dough into a thin disc that is at least 12 inch wide. Line a 23-cm (9-inch) pie plate. Do not cut overhang.
2. In a bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, corn starch, and lemon zest and juice. Spoon the filling into the pie shell. Gently lift overhang and place on top of the strawberries.
3. Place pie in freezer for 20 minutes.
4. With the rack in the bottom position, preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
5. Place the cold pie on a baking sheet to catch any messy drips.
6. Bake until golden brown, about 75 minutes. (ps Baking time for an unfrozen pie is about 45 minutes.) Serve warm or cold. (personally, I like this one cold!)