Monday, May 21, 2012

Overnight Yeast Waffles


I have a secret to share...I can't make pancakes. Seriously, every pancake I have ever made has either been burnt, tough, in multiple pieces thanks to terrible flipping or just tastes bland!! Somehow that bowl of batter gets into my head and I crumble into a pile of cooking dust. 


Thank god for waffles and crepes - those I can do! Waffles are my favourite. I love pouring the batter into the waffle iron, hearing the initial sizzle of batter against metal, watching the cloud of hot steam rise, and the aroma of buttery batter fill the room.



Usually, I make a classic buttermilk version but I cam across this raised waffle recipe in The Cake Bible  Rose Levy Beranbaum. After a little look-see on the internet I found this recipe or a version of it is all over the web.The original was created by Marion Cunningham (no not that Marion Cunningham). 


I love the recipe. The yeast batter is unique. When you wake up and walk into your kitchen the yeast will fill your senses. When you cook your waffles, you will see a waffle that is so crispy and thin that when you hold it up to the sun, light will stream through. Your first bite is crunchy, buttery and yes a little yeasty - heaven! We add warmed maple syrup and a little whip cream for a totally decadent treat. Try these. You will love them!



Ingredients
Makes enough for about 8 waffles.
1/2 cup warm water, 110 degrees F
1 package active dry yeast or 2-1/4 tsp, not rapid rise!
2 cups milk, slightly warmed
1/2 cup butter, melted (let cool a bit so, again, you don’t kill the yeast)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon baking soda


What to do 
1. In a very large mixing bowl, stir together warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for 20 minutes...it should be very bubbly otherwise yeast us dead and you should start again with new yeast. 


2. Add butter, milk, salt, flour and whisk until no lumps remain. 


3. Cover with the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand on your counter overnight at room temperature. If you watch it, the mixture will expand by 3x it's volume ... But it will collapse back on to itself. 


4. In the morning, preheat your waffle maker. 


5. Remove plastic wrap and beat in your eggs. 


6. Add the baking soda and stir to combine. The batter will be very thin!


7. Depending on the size of your waffle maker, add 1/3 to 1/2 c of batter onto the centre of your waffle maker. Cook as directed by your manufacturer. 


Mine take about 4 minutes or so to cook to perfection. Makes about 8 or so waffles that are 9 inches sq.


Notes:

  1. Batter can be kept for 3 days in fridge or even frozen for up to two months! (Thaw frozen batter in fridge).
  2. Cooked waffles can also be frozen and reheated toasted on low.

7 comments:

  1. What a fabulous recipe, looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to make yeast waffles but just never have for some reason. Seeing these just might give me the inspiration I need. They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to start these tonight and make them for breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any problems making pancakes, but I do prefer the flavor of a waffle and the slightly crisp outside! And there's something about having little pockets for your butter that just thrills me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummy! I love waffles, time to get the waffle iron out!

    ReplyDelete