Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cardamom, Chia and Pumpkin Seed Granola - Super Foods 2012


This is the third installment of my Super Foods 2012 series. This month we look at chia.

The powdered form is great in baking. Just throw in a tablespoon or two into your cake batters and cookie doughs and no one will ever know you've upped the nutrition value of these treats! Also used as a thickener in some sauces it's acceptable though I have found that it's a bit clumpy if not stirred properly. 

I prefer chia in the seed form. Whether it's in granola, yogourt, mixed into pancake batter or sprinkled on top of a stir fry the seeds work well to add great texture and a nutrition boost to your diet. Some people turn it into a gel-like substance and eat that but I have yet to try that...it doesn't sound very appetizing to me! Has anyone tried it this way?

This is a wonderful granola recipe that not only incorporates chia but also flax, bran, oats, cardamom and pumpkin seeds! Truly delicious and packed full of nutrients!

Cardamom, Chia and Pumpkin Seed Granola Recipe
Ingredients
1/4 c honey
1/3 c maple syrup
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger powder
4 green cardamom pods broken and seeds removed (discard pods; keep seeds)
1/2 c unsweetened coconut
1-1/2 c pumpkin seeds
1/2 c almond slivers
1/4 c chia (seeds or ground)
1/2 c wheat bran
1/2 c ground flax
1/2 tsp salt
4 c large flake oats
1 tsp vanilla


What to do
  • Preheat oven 325 degrees F.
  • Crush cardamom seeds with back of spoon.
  • In medium sized saucepan, combine oil, honey, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and crushed cardamom seeds.
  • Bring to simmer over medium heat.
  • In a large bowl combine all other ingredients.
  • Carefully pour liquid over dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
  • Using a large rimmed cookie sheet or baking pan, spread the granola to evenly cover the pan.
  • The granola should take about 40 minutes to toast completely. To ensure even browning, stir the granola every 10 minutes while baking!
  • Cool completely.
  • Note: you can add raisins or other dried fruit once cooled, if desired.





Other articles on chia:

4 comments:

  1. You had me at cardamom! I've been looking at recipes forever. This time I might actually try it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard abot chia but this looks like it could be a great spice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo, I made this last week for a breakfast club meeting I put together, and it was a hit! Comments were everything from "this is the best muesli I've ever eaten" to "wow, the cardamom is amazing" to "I like the salt, it's a good balance".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just done something similar a couple of days ago. It tastes extraordinary. I definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete