Tuesday, March 13, 2012

How to make pickled onions




I first tasted pickled onions when they were offered as a condiment at my favorite taco place. They were divine and I set out to make my own. As it turns out, it is super simple to whip a batch. I use balsalmic vinegars but red wine vinegar will also work. And if you don't have chili sauce don't worry about it -the addition of the sauce just add a bit of kick to it. 
Cut onions as thinly as possible.
These will be fine in your fridge for a couple of weeks but I doubt they will last that long!

So many uses:
  • tacos
  • sandwiches
  • salads
  • out of the container
  • as a condiment with meat

Ingredients
2 medium to large red onions
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup white basalmic vinegar
1/4 cup red basalmic vinegar
1 tsp sriracha sauce or other hot sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 fresh ground pepper

What to do
  • Cut onions in half and slice as thinly as possible.
  • Over medium heat, stir vinegars, sugar, hot sauce, salt, and pepper until sugar is dissolved.
  • Bring to a simmer and add onions.
  • Bring back to simmer and immediately remove from heat.
  • Cool.
  • Place in container and refrigerate overnight.



8 comments:

  1. Very nice! And I love the sriracha in this~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too but I like sriracha in pretty much everything!
      ceecee

      Delete
  2. oh this is such a neat idea! we love sriracha in our house as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stupid question, but I wonder if I could use the brine from Claussen pickles or beets after all the beets and pickles are gone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... I also found this list of pickle juice uses... http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/07/a-gazillion-ways-to-use-leftover-pickle-juice.html

      Delete
  4. Hi Christina... Although I haven't tried it, I think it might work. I would still simmer as per recipe but should work. I know people who add carrots to left over pickle juice so why not onions?
    ceecee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is srircha and where do you find it? Never hear of it!

      Delete
    2. It is a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt. It is widely available in Canada and the US.

      Ceecee

      Delete