Monday, September 19, 2011

DIY Fruit Leather



I'm not a big fruit leather fan, but my kids love it! So, when I made a big batch of apple-pear sauce, I put some aside for this recipe. After the sauce was made, all I had to do was pour it in a thin layer and dry it out. The drying process is a bit long as its done at a low temperature but what else is there to do on a rainy fall afternoon?

My daugther says the store bought variety is sweeter but she liked the cinnamon flavour in this version so in her opinion it's better than the prepackaged variety.






Ingredients
  • 3 cups apple sauce (homemade or store bought)
If store bought add:
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp vanilla

 


What to do
  • Preheat the oven to 170 degrees F  - if your oven doesn't go that low 200 degrees F is fine.
  • Cover a baking sheet with a silpat.
  • If using commercially prepared sauce, combine it wiht spices and vanilla in a large bowl.
  • Spread evenly over silpat (up to 1/4 inch thick). Place the pan in middle rack of oven.
  • Bake for 5 to 7 hours. Fruit is dry when the surface is no longer tacky, it's smooth.
  • Cool completely.
  • Remove fruit leather from pan and silpat.
  • Cut into strips or shapes with cookie cutters.
  • Roll the pieces with plastic wrap or parchment.
  • Store in an airtight jar.



2 comments:

  1. Who knew it was this easy?! My kids love these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized how easy it would be to make my own fruit leather! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete