I recommend baking these cookies the day before you need them as they taste much better after resting for a day. The recipe is simple, and egg free (bonus for anyone with an allergy). The icing is simple too.
So remember...stop to smell the flowers...and eat a couple too!
Adapted from Marie Nightingale's Favorite Recipes
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter and sugar.
- Mix until combined and dough comes together.
- Using sall cookie scooper or tablespoon, form into balls.
- Place on cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes and golden around the edges.
- Cool completely.
- Once cooled, sift the icing sugar and cocoa into medium bowl.
- Add the vanilla and water and stir.
- Frost each cookies with about 1/2 tsp of icing.