Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Cinnamon Bun Sugar Cookies
Aren't these the cutest little cookies ever?? I had left over sugar cookie dough in my freezer and didn't feel like using cookie cutters and re-rolling scraps so I thought this was a great alternative.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2.5 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/3 cup melted butter
4 tbsp cinnamon
4 tbsp sugar
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine.
3. In another large bowl beat butter and shortening.
4. Beat in sugars until light and fairly fluffy.
5. Beat in egg and vanilla.
6. Mix in flour mixture.
7. Divide dough in half; flatten each slightly.
8. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
9. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough, 1 piece at a time, to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness and in a 8 inch by 14 inch rectangle.
10. Brush melted butter over rectangle.
11. Mix cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over dough.
12. Place 14-inch side of dough parallel to you and roll dough fairly tightly away from you.
13. If dough is very soft refrigerate for 20 minutes.
14. Slice dough into 1cm or 1/2 inch slices using a sharp knife so as not to squish dough.
15. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
16. Let cool for 1 minute on baking sheets.
17. Transfer to racks; let cool completely.
18. Drizzle icing over cookies.