I love oats. I love coconut. I love butter. I love this recipe. It is adapted from a Best of Bridge recipe. This recipe results in a very buttery oat flavour with a subtle coconut flavour. Melted chocolate or bit of softened store bought icing can be drizzled over them for some added flare.
The oat bars around the edges are crispy but the ones cut from the middle are relatively soft. Also, when you spread the mixture onto your cookie sheet it will only take up half of the pan. While it bakes it will spread to fill the rest of it. I also think you could add a bit of cinnamon for added flavour too.
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 3-1/2 cups oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
What to do
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In large pot, melt butter and corn syrup.
- Add brown sugar and stir.
- Stir in oats, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and coconut until well combined.
- Place on large cookie sheet and flatten until mixture is about 1cm thick.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and cut into squares or rectangles.
- If desired, drizzle with melted chocolate.