Thursday, March 31, 2016

Hummus and Kale Salad Recipe

www.withinthekitchen.blogspot.com

Remember when everyone was in love with kale?? Well, honestly I did not jump on the bandwagon because I just didn't like it even though I wanted too. But I didn't like it raw, I didn't like it steamed, or stir-fried or baked.
And then the love fest with kale seemed to die down a bit.

Jim Gaffigan and kale:


Of course, that's when I finally found a kale dish I like, no, love.

One afternoon while walking on Granville Street and spending too much money and time shopping, I realized I was hungry. Hungry to the point of not caring what I ate. I grabbed a salad at a specialty grocery store without really looking.....turned out it was a hummus and kale salad.

Obviously, I didn't expect to like it but thought it would take care of my hunger and then figured I'd grab a coffee to cover the kale aftertaste. Except, I liked the salad. Mind blown. Today, I made my own simple version - chopped kale mixed with my favorite commercially made hummus. It's great on its own or with grilled chicken thrown in. Simple. Delicious.

PS - bonus -  kale is such a sturdy green that this salad will last 2 days in the fridge before it wilts!

Serves four as a side dish.

Ingredients

1 bunch green kale, chopped small
1 cup hummus
1/2 red pepper, chopped
2 green onions, chopped

Instructions

In a large bowl, mix the kale and hummus together.
Add red pepper and onions. Mix.


www.withnthekitchen.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. My daughter and I are the only ones in the family that like kale. I usually make a smoothie or bake them to make chips. This is another great idea! So easy to make too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How refreshing. Great for spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete