Sunday, February 9, 2014

Chocolate Avocado Smoothie

Chocolate Avocado Smoothie withinthekitchen.blogspot.com
To me, this smoothie tastes like chocolate pudding. In fact, if you cut down the milk to just 1 cup you could serve it as a healthy pudding! This is a great afternoon snack for the kids and adults since it will keep them full until dinner-thanks to the fiber in the avocado and strawberries. It also satisfies my mid-afternoon sweet craving!

I know some people stay away from avocados because of the fruit's high fat content as about 85% an avocado's calories are from fat. It's important to remember that the fat found in an avocado is mostly the good kind called monounsaturated fat (same as found in olive oil).

Did you know?

  • One avocado has 1/2 the recommended daily fibre for a woman? 
  • Many believe avocados have anti-inflammation properties.
  • The are also known as "alligator pears" due to the appearance of their skin and shape.
  • 1/2 of an avocado provides 25% of the daily recommended amount of folate we need.

The deep chocolate flavour is thanks to the cocoa. If your strawberries are quite sweet you won't need the honey but the ones I have are rather tart so a little extra sweetness is needed.

Makes 2 smoothies.

Ingredients

1 ripe medium avocado
1 heaping tbsp cocoa
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey (optional)
1 cup frozen strawberries

Instructions

Place in blender or Nutribullet and blend until smooth.

Chocolate Avocado Smoothie withintekitchen.blogspot.com

Other smoothies you should try:
Green Goodness
Avocado Strawberry Smoothie
Blueberry Mango Smoothie
Blueberry Banana Tofu Smoothie
Pomegranate and Kale Smoothie
Strawberry Muesli Smoothie
Detox Lemon Spinach Smoothie
Cranberry Orange Antioxidant Smoothie

21 comments:

  1. This smoothie sounds fantastic. I would definitely make it thicker and enjoy it as pudding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! I am a fan of the combo of chocolate and avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love the addition of strawberries here! I'll definitely be trying this out soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They add some needed sweetness! And chocolate and strawberries are such a classic combo.

      Delete
  4. I think it would taste better if you replace the strawberries with banana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So hubby and I tried this tonight. With just the ingredients listed, all I could taste was strawberry and a bit of bitter chocolate, but barely any chocolate. So I added more honey and a little more chocolate, and same thing. Just didn't taste like chocolate at all. Ended up adding just a little sugar and it finally was at least edible. I don't dislike it...but it definitely tastes more strawberry than chocolate! Good healthy shake that is not all that bad. If you have any ideas about how to make it more chocolatey and less strawberry-y that'd be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear it didn't come out well for you! When I make it a can barely taste the strawberries! I wonder if it's a difference in cocoa powders? I use dutch processed cocoa. Is that what you used? I understand that dutch process cocoa is richer in flavour vs natural cocoa that is a bit lighter tasting (and lighter in colour).

      Delete
  6. I just made this (well, half to get one smoothie) ... Delicious! I find avocado and banana don't mix well, to me, so I was glad to see a different mix :) Not too sweet and very rich-tasting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i made this just now!i subbed half the milk for vanilla yogurt and omitted the vanilla! also added some chia seeds and almond meal! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was my first attempt at a smoothie, as we usually juice. It was very, very good and really easy to make. Tasted like chocolate pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried it at first without honey, and it was much too bitter for my taste. I added a banana and quite a bit of honey and it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids loved it! I replace some things though. I used carob and brown rice syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try using chocolate protein powder and a frozen banana. Of coarse chocolate almond milk would be a good addition too. Can't really have to much chocolate for me. Could add spinach and mixed berries as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I plan on trying it using frozen cherries! Cherries and chocolate go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it as a light dessert. I topped it with a fine crushed hazelnut/sugar topping and added a cigar shaped cookie to give it some flair. No one will suspect it has avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this recipe tonight as I had everything on hand. I ate both smoothies, which were more like the chocolate milkshakes I remember during my dairy eating days! Thank you so much for a great recipe! I did add more honey and chocolate, but it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad I seen this. I love everything about it. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete